I started this blog a year ago, and today I’m teaching a makeup class for my sorority’s Volunteer Appreciation Week! I am so excited to share my tips and tricks for applying makeup with my sorority sisters. I’ve been asked several times if I would ever host classes. I’m excited to try hosting more classes in the future! Here are the products I’m using in my class that I use on a daily basis! **Some of the links below are affiliate links. If you purchase through the link, I make a tiny commission that helps support my makeup habit with no cost to you!**
I won’t go too much into skincare because that could be its own post/class, but good skincare is important to prep your skin for makeup! I don’t typically use makeup primer because when you prime and prep your skin, I don’t think you need it. The only primer I use on a regular basis is this one from Makeup Forver to cancel out redness: https://rstyle.me/+OKB8CSggZyszlDfpb2a4ow
Products/steps I use to prep my skin:
- Cleanse: I wash my face with this philosophy cleanser: https://rstyle.me/+cvTUezKPbuEVJVWa4a05qg. It’s gentle but leaves my skin feeling clean. I alternate days where I will exfoliate my face with this philosophy daily face scrub: https://rstyle.me/+ftej7Lj5lYlLDJWPCyzTww. It’s gentle but works really well!
- Tone: I’ve been loving this toner from Good Molecules: https://getgoodmolecules.com/products/niacinamide-brightening-toner. At night, every few days I use this glycolic toner from the Ordinary: https://rstyle.me/+3VFiKyKCzfzicEdQU5y7jA.
- Serum: I have been using this hyaluronic acid serum from The Inkey. It’s inexpensive and works great to put moisture back in your skin. Make sure your skin is still damp! There has to be moisture there to lock in: https://rstyle.me/+9mHHcMSoW1UuCZYLJf2D_g
- Facial oil: Before I apply makeup, I love getting my skin as hydrated as possible. I use this facial oil from Colleen Rothschild in the morning before my moisturizer to help keep it super hydrated: https://rstyle.me/+PqeIMbWTorTjCD9lIn1V7g. At night, I put this on and then add the Colleen Rothschild hydrating mask on top and sleep in it so I wake up to super moisturized skin: https://rstyle.me/+2HB2DXOapFZEGtQLVPfiWw
- Moisturizer: My holy grail moisturizer is the Belif The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb (not the aqua bomb). I have combo skin and it leaves it super hydrated. I’ve repurchased this over and over! https://rstyle.me/+z3vlfLluy3tShqE8KbRkGw
I let my skincare sink in and then move on to makeup.
- Beauty sponge: This is the best way to apply foundation for my skin. You have to find something that works for you! If I don’t have a beauty sponge, I just use my hands. I find that a brush is streaky on me and I don’t love it. My favorite sponges are:
- Beauty Blender: They are $20 but worth it in my opinion. I love the original hot pink one. When the hot pink color stops running out of the sponge when you clean it, that means it’s time to replace (about every 3 months). I just use dawn dish soap to clean it! YOU MUST USE THIS SPONGE WET! It won’t work otherwise. https://rstyle.me/+DQ5pbH6ssDnHQMyDPtikpw
- Juno & Co sponge: This $6 sponge is the best drugstore brand I’ve found that applies makeup very similarly to the Beauty Blender. https://rstyle.me/+YWBdT-98pOXwdo1Wmt2W7A
- Foundation: My holy grail is the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Foundation. It is full coverage and leaves my skin looking flawless. I’ve tried other products and I always come back to this one! I’m between shade fair and light right now, but in the summer I’m in shade light. https://rstyle.me/+AvKQvD9cowY0ZrNtwf2H9Q.
- I will say I don’t love that there isn’t a great color range for this line. Fenty Beauty has an amazing shade range and their formulas are also great.
- Setting powder: I don’t always use setting powder but if I do, I like a loose one and I use my damp beauty sponge to press it into my face. I had a Becca one I loved that was discontinued. The brand is closing later this year, but this is the closest to it: https://rstyle.me/+7dDzjY56zWp_hYcvYTD-rA
- Contour: This is my favorite contour palette right now: https://rstyle.me/+fOJ4KI1PQSxSHQr_jLow8g. I also love using these new Jaclyn Hill Cosmetics blush/bronzing duos. I think she did a great job of creating shades for all skin tone ranges: https://rstyle.me/+p1o4pK8z90wGju004BvuFQ. I also love these palettes from Benefit with several different bronzers, blushes and highlights. The brush that comes with it is perfect for chiseling your cheekbones! https://rstyle.me/+Y0SivjdacsoqdpRxeCTUiQ.
- My favorite powder contour brush: https://www.morphe.com/products/jh05-perfect-contour-brush
- I do also love cream contour in the summer. This has been my favorite one so far: https://rstyle.me/+PTxmp4nh972gF93iOfas4Q . I apply this with a synthetic brush like this one: https://rstyle.me/+oUdx1QHRmX4t2ipNjFXy0A
- Blush: I love using all kinds of different blushes. Here are some of my favorites:
- Highlight: I love a powder and liquid highlight. These are some great options:
- Eyebrows: I alternate using a pomade, pencil and colored gel:
- Eyeshadow: These Jaclyn Hill palettes are the best bang for your buck!
- Eyeliner: This is my favorite eye liner with a blender on the end of it: https://rstyle.me/+gy3jXIvnBLKmO-_WnZwGBg
- Mascara: I love this drug store brand: https://rstyle.me/+kyVz4Pnn9wBD6-C03-8ABg and this higher-end mascara: https://rstyle.me/+eMgHfzonXq6oN34ue6nrbw
- Fake eyelashes: These are the products I’ve been using lately:
- Lip products: There are too many to list here but I’m always happy to give recommendations. Here are some of my go-tos:
Follow me on Instagram for makeup and beauty tips: @danikloap. DM me for any questions or recommendations!